RE: Drilled piers vs piles

Title: RE: Drilled piers vs piles

Bill Polhemus wrote:

Woo, you're behind the times.

Void boxes are a STRICT no-no anymore!

Wild Bill:

Huh?  You must have dreamed this!  In expansive clay areas, we continue to routinely specify void boxes under all grade beams, pier caps, and tilt-wall panels.  As far as I know, so does everyone else in Texas (except for you, apparently).

Based on previous experience with poor construction practices on many projects, we no longer specify void boxes under structural slabs.  However, many other engineers don't appear to have any problem doing so.

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Halff Associates
Dallas, Texas