RE: Field problems

From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 1:24 PM
To: SEAOC Newsletter

>I just had a steel inspector call me with the following finds on a
>commercial project i have:

Probably you should write a letter to your client, requesting that you
be
allowed to assume complete responsibility for all consequences, latent
and patent, at no charge and without impacting the schedule. Then have a

last cigarette, strip to the waist, lie down on the sacrificial altar
until the high priest of sloppy fabrication cuts your heart out to
invoke
a suspension of the laws of applied mechanics.

Christopher Wright P.E.

Alden,

I agree with Christopher's suggestion. When investigating field problems
like this it's good to keep things in perspective and always remember,
it's your fault. And if you can't justify that the "as-built" conditions
will work, then it's REALLY your fault.

Hope this helps.

Cliff Schwinger

(P.S. I would like to nominate Roger Turk as ENGINEER OF THE YEAR.
Roger, if you read this could you please send me an application for
membership in the "Dumb Old Guy" club. I am only 47 (or 48 - I forget)
but I can supply plenty of references verifying my qualifications for
membership.