Re: UBC: How Do You Interpret 1997 UBC P

Gil,

It seems that if you use a reducible 50 psf loading, or a non-reducible 40
psf loading, you end up with the design live loading in the same neighborhood.

I should probably have elaborated in the example that I gave that neither the
design loading, nor the fact that tour buses had been parked on the deck
were, IMO, the cause of the distress that I observed.  The distress was
severe spalling of concrete on support columns and started occurring within 6
months after completion of the structure.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Gil Brock wrote:

----------------Begin Referenced Messages------------------

Roger,

Maybe the low loads you get after reductions is the reason why many codes
(not including ACI) do not allow live load  reductions based on tributary
area for parking garages along with places of assembly, vaults, strongrooms
etc.

this?