RE: Insurance

Yes.

E&O, of course.

General Liability.
Worker's Comp.
Office coverage (for equipment, software etc.)
Hired and non-owned vehicles.

The last four above might seem a bit much, but such policies tend to be
fairly inexpensive, and even if you don't have employees Gen Liability and
WC will be worth the small amount you pay for them. What if you get hurt on
the job? Or what if someone gets hurt walking up your driveway to talk to
you about their project?

What if someone burglarizes your home and makes off with your office
equipment? Homeowner's insurance won't cover things like "intellectual
property" lost when your computer got snatched.

Also, make sure you have broadband internet, and your own domain name tied
to the name of your "firm", so people can email you at a "non-generic"
location (I have offsite service for this and it costs me $9.00 per month).

A website is no longer a frill, it is one way people can find you and know
what you do (I say that, not yet having put my website together).

Those are a few things I can think of.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, TX, USA