RE: Dome Shaped Roof

Alex,

In answer to the basic question, ASCE instrumented the Goodyear Zeppelin dock
in Akron, Ohio, in about 1930 and published the results in Civil Engineering
Magazine, November, 1930, pp. 71-76.  The Zeppelin dock was a good structure
to find out how wind forces acted on sloping and rounded surfaces as none of
the surface is straight in addition to it being located on flat, level
terrain.  For a windward pressure at the ground of 37.5 psf, a suction of 150
psf is developed on the windward side just shy of the top of the structure.
["Theory of Modern Steel Structures" by L. E. Grinter, 1949, Seventh Printing
1956, Figure 70, pg. 88]  The Goodyear Zeppelin Dock was 1175 feet long, 325
feet wide and 197.5 feet high. [Ibid. pg. 15 and pg. 88]

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Joel Adair wrote:

. > A good, but very theoretical (as in partial differential equations),
. > reference is "Thin Shell Concrete Structures" by David P. Billington.
. > It's published by McGraw-Hill in their Classic Textbook Reissue Series,
. > so it may be hard to get a hold of.  You may have to look for a used copy
. > at a technical book store on the web, or something.  It has some
. > information about wind loads on cylinders, domes, hyperboloids, etc.

. > -- Joel

. > "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
. > Joel Adair, PE
. > Halff Associates, Inc.
. > E-mail: jadair(--nospam--at)halff.com