From: Haan, Scott M. [mailto:HaanSM(--nospam--at)ci.anchorage.ak.us]
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 1:31 PM
To: Seaint list (E-mail)
Subject: dead load resisting - Perforated shear walls - published design
example?

Hello:

Has anyone seen any published design examples for using dead load to resist
overturning tension in perforated wood panel shearwalls?  A design example
in draft of an example that is going to be published?  Please help me get a
copy if know of one and I will buy the book.  The FEMA 369 commentary
conveniently dodges the issue.

In discussions, I have been told that it is permissible to use the
distributed load over the wall to reduce the interior wall segment bottom
plate unit tension.  Also that you should only use the load that is over the
outside segment when designing holdown anchors at the outer ends.
Unfortuneately I have not seen any textbook examples to back this up.

Thanks!

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division