Re: Insurance

Forrest Braun wrote:

. > It seems like its not needed for an engineer with no staff but a fair
. > number of clients both public and private request a certificate when
. > signing a contract.  In part its providing a degree of protection to your
. > client while on their site.

In part only!

There are other, very common, situations where sole proprietor WC coverage
comes into play, for example:

I was coming back to my office after reviewing plans on file at the Building
Safety Division office.  Getting into my truck, my left foot slipped off the
edge of a pothole and a "snap" accompanied excruciating pain.  After sitting
there for about 15 minutes, the cold sweat stopped, and I started to see if I
could operate the clutch.  Some minutes later, I found that I could
carefully, slowly operate the clutch and proceeded back to the office.  By
time I got back to the office and took off my sock, my toes were black.  I
went to an orthopaedic surgeon, had x-rays, diagnosis (severe sprain with
tendon tearing off the bone), treatment, etc., all paid by the WC carrier.
If I had been unable to work while recuperating, I would have received
compensation for that time based on the "imputed" salary for a sole
proprietor.

It is not only injury while at your client's site that workman's comp
insurance covers; it covers injury or illness incurred while engaged in your
work.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona