Cost of AWS D1.1 (was RE: Backing Bars at CJP...)

The AWS code had always (at as far as I can remember) be rather "pricey".
I suspect that it is partly that pesky little theory that capitalists like
called the law of supply and demand.  I want to believe that there are
much fewer copies of AWS D1.1 sold that say the AISC LRFD manuals or the
ACI 318 code.  Thus, they must charge more to recoop their costs.  Just
think about your standard size A/E or engineering office...how many of the
structural engineers there owned their own copy of the AISC manual or the
318 code?  And how many of those same engineers owned their own copy of
AWS D1.1?

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI