RE: UBC: How Do You Interpret 1997 UBC P

Roger Turk:

> (From my understanding, "authority" has a specific legal definition.)

Me:

Well the Building Code is a legal document, Roger.

How do YOU interpret the following words from the 1994 UBC (the code in
effect at the time the project was permitted), Section 1604.1: "WHEN IT CAN
BE DETERMINED in designing floors that the actual live load will be greater
than the value shown [in the table], the actual live load shall be used in
the design..."

Seems to me that the crux of the problem is in the clause that I
capitalized. COULD it have been determined in 1995 that loading for a
parking structure should anticipate live loads "greater than the value
shown"?

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, TX, USA