RE: Cost of AWS D1.1 (was RE: Backing Bars at CJP...)

If you are serious about springing for the price of AWS codes, you probably
ought to join AWS. The member price is deeply discounted and you will pay
for the price of membership if you have to buy more than one of these. D1.1
is just the beginning. Chances are you will, at some time or another, also
want to have a copy of the codes for rebar, stainless, and aluminum, not to
mention procedure qualification and certification references to help you
with specifications. Membership can help a little on the cost side.

The cost of references is getting to be a nightmare. A lot of fabricators
are working to the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code requirements for
welding, and if you have to buy any of those publications, the cost is as
bad or worse than AWS.

I'm lucky enough to work for a company that can afford to buy these things
for me. I really feel sorry for engineers who have to pay for all these
publications on their own nickel. It's only going to get worse with adoption
of the IBC, which incorporates a lot of codes and standards by reference
without reproducing the content, as was the case with the UBC.

With standards on a three year revision cycle, you need a pretty healthy
checkbook (not to mention a lot of reading time) to stay current. If the
people who adopt all these codes think the average engineer is actually
going to buy all the references, they're kidding themselves. The reality is
that people buy what they can afford, and beg, borrow, or steal the rest of
what they need to get through the day.

I would love to see "big government" create a program for placing all of
these codes and standards on line so they could be accessed at a single
source, say the Library of Congress web site. It would cost something, but
it would address a real problem in the workplace, make us more productive
and current, and save a lot of trees.