From: Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)Fluor.com [mailto:Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)Fluor.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 8:24 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Cost of AWS D1.1 (was RE: Backing Bars at CJP...)

I would buy my own copy of AWS D1.1 if it was the same price as the LRFD
Manual.  That's supply and demand also.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

************************

                    Scott Maxwell
                    <smaxwell@engin.      To:     seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
                    umich.edu>
                    03/06/02 08:25        cc:
                    PM
                    Please respond        Subject:     Cost of AWS D1.1 (was
RE: Backing Bars at CJP...).
                    to seaint

.

The AWS code had always (at as far as I can remember) be rather "pricey".
I suspect that it is partly that pesky little theory that capitalists like
called the law of supply and demand.  I want to believe that there are
much fewer copies of AWS D1.1 sold that say the AISC LRFD manuals or the
ACI 318 code.  Thus, they must charge more to recoop their costs.  Just
think about your standard size A/E or engineering office...how many of the
structural engineers there owned their own copy of the AISC manual or the
318 code?  And how many of those same engineers owned their own copy of
AWS D1.1?

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Bill Polhemus wrote:

> If I might make a comment that is OFF TOPIC as far as the title of the
> thread is concerned (but which saves me from creating a whole 'nother
thread
> just so I can "rant"):
>
> I saw that AWS now has a new edition of D1.1 (02). I am interested in
> updating my library so I decided to look into ordering it.
>
> My gosh, for the "nonmember" that sucker costs almost $400!!!
>
> I know we've talked about this from time to time here, but this brings it
up
> again: How do these organizations justify this high cost?
>
> It seems funny to me that a softcover "trade paperback" version of AWS
D1.1
> costs that much yet you can buy the brand new hardcover edition of the
AISC
> "Manual of Steel Construction" for less than HALF that amount! In fact
the
> member's price for ACI's "Manual of Concrete Practice" is about the same
> price, and that thing is FIVE VOLUMES! So how does AWS arrive at that
being
> a reasonable price?
>
> I think AWS D1.1 is a must-have for the basic library but at that price
I'm
> going to have to wait till the next "real project" (to quote Stan
Caldwell)
> comes along before I can justify the expense!
>

> William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
> Polhemus Engineering Company
> Katy, TX, USA
> Phone (281) 492-2251