From: Paul Ransom [mailto:ad026(--nospam--at)hwcn.org]
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 8:09 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: METAL BUILDING DESIGN METHODS

> From: "=?iso-8859-1?B?SnVhbiBKb3PpIFRyZWZmIERlIGxhIE1vcmE=?="
> <jjtreff(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>

>     As you probably know, metal building companies use a different
> method for the analysis and design of rigid frames with web tapered
> members than the one proposed by Dr. George C. Lee and used in AISC
> Appendix F. I find

I don't "probably know" that. The analysis approach by each company is
based on different assumptions and ananlysis techniques. Each company
considers their approach to be proprietary.

In general, the results should be very similar to the AISC standards
with some of the "unwritten" assumptions removed. The AISC analyses have
been simplified to make it more easily useable by the general steel
design community. If you really want to get into it, you have to look at
the basis of the AISC analysis and/or do a Ph.D. The SSRC publication on
steel structure stability is a good starting resource.

> AISC's method confusing and not practical. I've tried MBMA 1996 Low
> Rise Building Systems Manual without success so I am hoping one of you

> colleagues can help me.

MBMA manual relates to load development/application rather than
member/structure analysis. It is comparable to ASCE7 rather than AISC
standards.

>     Do any of you know where can I get this "methods used by metal
> building companies"?  I know they use a simpler way (initial and final

> depth

Get a job with a metal building manufacturer who has a technical
development division (e.g. one of the majors). They will teach an
employee beyond, "I don't know. I didn't write the software", or "that's
the way that we have always done it." Remember, each one will be
slightly different.

> Is not like I'm becoming competition of these companies when they
> share their information with me. Maybe there's not such info available

> but an outline or an example might help me.

If I say that this won't happen, somebody will prove me wrong but I
would probably be on the conservative side. You may not be competition,
today ...

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International