High Cost of Professional Reference Mate

Jim,

IIRC --> If I Recall Correctly
SOHO --> Small Office/Home Office

As a precast manufacturer, maybe you can help me find a reference I was going
to pass on to Bill Polhemus.  There was an article in the PCI Journal a
number of years ago on typical, recurrent problems in parking structures.  I
have gone thru the copies of the PCI Journal that I have (going back to the
mid- to late- 80s small format journal) but could not find it.  It was either
a committee report or something similar and, IIRC, Ted Gutt was one of the
authors.  The PCI web site was no help to me as the search engine was
configured to find only "examples of fine precast/prestressed projects."

Since you receive the digest version, I will also send this directly to you.

TIA

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Jim Getaz wrote:

. >         I work for a company (precast concrete manufacturer) that buys
. > codes that are secondary to our work when they change significantly. AWS
. > D1.1-2002 is a good case. We buy ACI 318 and our local Building Codes
. > every time they are revised. We also spend considerable time and travel
. > money supporting the engineering side of the Precast/Prestressed Concrete
. > Institute. OK, it is our trade association, but it supports research that
. > can improve construction. We support ACI, though to a lesser extent. My
. > point is that the price of the publications is small in comparison to the
. > other support we provide to the entities developing the publications.
. > Committee meetings and committee work between meetings are like a
. > particularly intense day at the office for me. And those entities do make
. > a profit on their publications, which helps keep them publishing better
. > Codes. The same with their seminars - why do you think you get so many
. > fliers in the mail telling you how you can learn everything you need to
. > know to stay current with your discipline?

. >         Lincoln Arc Welding may be the best example in the country for
. > this. They have their Foundation and its books are wonderful and cheap:
. > quite the opposite of getting what you pay for. Their Foundation is an
. > excellent resource. Does all this help sell welding rod and machines. I'm
. > sure it does, but it is an extraordinarily enlightened self-interest. I
. > imagine every one of you has used Blodgett's Design of Welded Structures
. > at least once.

. > I know more than one sole proprietor that spends a
. > significant amount of time on this kind of unpaid work. Yes, it makes a
. > name for the engineer within his industry group that ultimately helps him
. > find work, but it is an expensive and very long-range kind of
. > advertising. Why do they do it? Because all of us see things that could
. > be made better or we would have washed out of engineering long ago.

. >         Does this all mean I wish publication prices were higher. No, I
. > hate it when my company spends money just as much as I hate spending my
. > own money. But if you were paying the true cost of the knowledge
. > provided, it would cost much more. This forum is similar. An astounding
. > amount of free education can be had here for the price of 15 minutes a
. > day if you get the digest, as I do (I'm sorry, I cannot take the number
. > of emails I would get otherwise - see the comment above about intense
. > days at work). The names we see every day, Bill Polhemus, Scott Haan,
. > Roger Turk, Harold Sprague, Dennis Wish, Daryl Richardson and a host of
. > others (please forgive me for the names I have not included but seen more
. > than ten times in the last month) belong to great people that want to see
. > a better world.

. >         BTW, I used to design steel and inspect welds, so I understand
. > some of the other things you all talk about, too. One thing I have not
. > understood are two abbreviations, IIRC and SOHO. Thank you in advance for
. > telling me what they are. And please forgive my long windedness.

. >         Thank you for your time.

. >         Jim Getaz, P. E.
. >         540-665-3204
. >         Shockey