RE: concrete of forty years old

Regarding column design based on the 318-63 code (or earlier), Section RA.6
of 318-02 cautions that the methods used in the 63-code do not meet the
current column design requirements. My understanding is that this is one of
the few situations where the old working stress methods may not have been
conservative relative to current requirements for similar members.