RE: 1038 steel properties

No.  There are no mechanical property "requirements" for 1038.  The 1038 is
an AISI designation, and mechanical properties are a function of the
treatment.  The treatment varies from supplier to supplier.  The chemical
properties ARE a requirement of AISI.  I can tell you that it is fairly high
in carbon (0.35-0.42).  It will have a yield of about 55 ksi.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague