RE: METAL BUILDING DESIGN METHODS

I think that Greg stated most common assumptions and approach to design of tapered members. Also, each MBS company does it somewhat different...

After weeks of studying the AISC Chapter F and the source documents (such as Lee/Ketter/Hsu's book on Design of Rigid Frames and their original papers) I found the major obstacles to be:
>> they did not give a method that can be easily programmed. Yes, there are charts, etc., but that is not "computer friendly" method.
>> there are many geometry limitations, such as "constants flange area", or "uniform change in member depth", etc, ... which would eliminate many MBS mfgs. from the game.

Igor Marinovic, P.E.
Memphis, TN