Re: metal bld'g. cable cross bracing

You don't need to be too hard on the "Metal Building Lobbyist."  He is one
of many who have successfully lobbied for code provisions that benefit one
type of construction.  In your example sited, that clause wasn't a benefit
as much as an exception to what otherwise would have penalized one type of
construction.  Here's a couple of points that might satisfy your concern:

1) The Building Codes are clearly written with typical commercial
construction in mind, with mass concentrated at multiple diaphragm levels.
MBMA-type buildings don't typically match this type of construction.  Their
mass is usually more in the walls than in the standing seam roof level.  I
think that special provisions that recognize the typical construction of
these types of buildings may be justified.

2) Other than a storage warehouse that was damaged during Loma Prieta by a
pallets of vegetable cans falling into the building wall, I can't recall
any of these types of buildings performing poorly during earthquakes.  In
other words, "Where Are The Bodies?"

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

*******************************

                    Samir Ghosn
                    <sghosn@harris-      To:     <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    assoc.com>
                    03/12/02 10:04       cc:
                    AM
                    Please respond       Subject:     Re: metal bld'g. cable cross bracing.
                    to seaint
                                                                                                                 .

One thing is going for the metal industry is that the buildings are light.
Another fact is that the Metal builidng Lobbyist manage to get into the
code a way of allowing tension bracing for one and two story building.
Section 2213.8.5 is the key in allowing metal buildings to be what they
are.
Frankly it has always bothered me too.

Samir Ghosn, P.E.
Harris & Associates
(800) 827 4901xt 360

  At 09:50 AM 3/12/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>   We are presently doing foundation design for some  metal buildings. We
>are not responsible for review of manufacturers drawings but  I am
>scratching my head about something.    manufactured  metal buildings that
>allows them to use both vertical (in wall) and horizontal  (in roof) cable
>cross bracing for lateral resistance?

the views of the company.