From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 12:43 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Question on Spirals in Columns

Eric Green gets the gold star!

The question was, could an ordinary *playing card* (not a deck of playing
cards) be slipped under the string?

The answer is a resounding, "Yes."

   pi(d2-d1) = 1"

   Therefore the diameter will increase ~1/3"

   And in spirals, the core diameter will increase 1/3 the elongation of the

spiral.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Eric Green wrote:

. > It depends. Is your deck of cards thicker than 1/3.14159 inches?

. > Eric Green