Work points

List,
I would like to get opinions on non building structures where bracing does
not fall on classic center of beams or columns. Structure is industrial
equipment support, 2 level.  Rw of 2.9 is used and used strength load cases
for concentric braced connections. The issue I need opinion is if the flange
of the beams is used for work point the weld lengths and plate sizes are
reduced. ($$$) When the allowable to load ratio for plate crippling and weld
is inspected it can vary from 5 to 60. Seems plenty strong to me. Each
framing level has fully braced plans. My thinking is that the classic
bracing detail provisions apply where Rw is higher do not really need to be
literally applied to non building system where bracing is fitted irregularly
and safety factor is high.
TIA

Robert M. Hanson,S.E.
Kappa Engineers