RE: LPILE or Other (Laterally Loaded Pile Analysis)

That's an idea, but to tell you the truth I'd rather do this analysis
myself. I don't mind having the geotech giving me the data needed in the
report but I like doing the foundation design myself not having it done for
me.

To tell the truth I have a nice "closed form solution" for doing a pretty
close estimate of the pile head movement and (especially) the maximum moment
in the pile. It is based upon a paper that was presented a few years ago at
the Texas Section ASCE meeting, and I've received a copy of it from the guys
who put it together.

Essentially, they took several hundred LPILE runs, and collated the data
then did a very fancy curve fit. The result is a ponderous-looking equation
which nevertheless is easy to solve using e.g. Mathcad's ROOT function.

But there are a few limitations on their method and the authors state that
it is for "preliminary design" and should be followed-up with a more
extensive analysis using LPILE or similar.

One of the limitations is that it assumes a value for (50  (that's
Epsilon-sub-50) of 0.01. The soil report I'm using recommends a value of
0.005. I'm not all that conversant as to how sensitive the analysis is to a
change in the value of (50  (Epsilon-sub-50), but I wanted to explore that
for myself.

It seems to me, btw, that since (50  (Epsilon-sub-50) is defined as "the
strain at one-half the ultimate shear stress of the soil" that a value of
0.005 would indicate a STIFFER soil than that of 0.01 and thus any analysis
would be more conservative at the higher value, but I don't know the
details.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, TX, USA