From: Mlcse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Mlcse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 11:50 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Work points

Bob,

Just because you are designing for an Rw = 2.9, I wouldn't ignore the classic work points.  With an Rw = 2.9, you are still expecting some inelastic behavior to occur if the earthquake is large enough, granted with a higher Rw value the structure would go inelastic sooner.  Remember, we are only guessing as to how big the earthquake is going to be (energy release, duration, distance, site effects, etc.)  If you do move the work point down or up to the beam flange and or column flange you need to consider the secondary moment on the beam and/or column due to the eccentricity of the workpoint and axial forces going through the beam and or column.  These secondary moment may likely increase your beam and/or column member sizes.

Mike Cochran S.E.