Anchor Chairs Question

List,

In the design of anchorage for tanks, I understand that anchor chairs are
necessary to minimize secondary bending in the shell with anchor tension.
My question is: Why can't a pair of gussets of the same length as the chair
be used instead, with the chair "seat" at the bottom of the tank instead of
being elevated, utilizing much shorter anchor bolts?  Doesn't the tank shell
react the same way to either configuration?  Is the length of the anchor
itself important, independent of the anchor chair?

> Sam Cornaby
> EIMCO Process Equipment Co.
Salt Lake City, UT
801-526-2542