RE: Foundation Min. reinforcement

Keep in mind also that the ACI now requires footings to have minimum
temperature steel.  This is in section 10.5.4 of ACI 318-99.   This section
is under the subject of "Minimum reinforcement of flexural members",
however, even if you don't consider it a flexural member, I would use
minimum temperature steel.

Ed Haninger, S.E.
Aliso Viejo, CA

                    "Yousefi, Ben"
                    <Ben.Yousefi@ci      To:     "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    .sj.ca.us>
                    03/14/02 10:30       cc:
                    AM
                    Please respond       Subject:     RE: Foundation Min. reinforcement.
                    to seaint
                                                                                                                 .

The minimum reinforcement you refer to is for flexural members. Unless you
expect major relative settlement, or the soil is so bad that it provides
little no support, the footing is not a flexural element IMHO. Therefore,
the 1 or 2 #5's at top and bottom is mainly intended for minor settlement
crack control.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA