mold growth on joists

Any words of wisdom as to the damaged caused by the growth of mold on wood joists, and by mold I mean mushrooms and hairy looking stuff and filmy looking stuff.  Some joists have obvious degradation noted by shoving a awl in and through the joists, the problem is: after the moisture  and ventilation is fixed, what do we do with the joists that are still hard, seemily undamaged, can we leave the stuff adhered to the side of the joists?

Jeff Fertich, P.E.
Gettysburg PA