IBC Wind end zone on hipped roof

I'm analyzing a custom home with a multiple hipped roof.  When applying the
IBC (or ASCE 7-98) wind provisions to a hipped roof for the main lateral
force resisting system, does the end zone extend vertically, or does the end
zone follow the slope of the roof along the hip?  If it follows the slope of
the roof, is the width measured horizontally, or perpendicular to the slope?

Looking at the diagrams supplied in the code, I'm getting the impression
that we've been given just a more complex way to analyze a box, with no
guidance for more complex structures.

Conrad Guymon, P.E.