Re: Concrete Shear Wall Below Grade; In-Plane / Out-of-Plane Behavior

Joseph,

	This is a different question.  Robert clearly indicated that he had
vertical and horizontal stirrups to accommodate shear and he asked if
these bars could also be used as flexural reinforcing.  My answer was
that he could use the same bars for both purposes provided that he added
the required amounts together and detailed them appropriately.

	Robert did not indicate whether he was accommodation the loading from
the retained earth with bars spanning horizontally or with bars spanning
vertically (or for that matter with a two way action, hence, with bars
spanning in both directions).

	Other than that I agree with you, Joseph. I would normally expect the
primary shear reinforcing to be horizontal and the primary bending
reinforcing to be vertical but we don't know all of the details of the
design problem.

				Regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson