California SE Exam

Is California SE exam differnt than the NCEE exam?

For SE I, NCEE exam, there are eight questions- four in the morning and four in the afternoon.

For SE II NCEE exam, there are two questions- one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

If you have a right materials i.e. books/handbooks, you could do well in the SE exam.

In SEII exam, you may have to concentrate the area/disciplinerelated to either bridges or buildings. If you concentrate on the bridge examples on both sessions, you need books on bridges such as AISC Highway Handbooks (f.k.a. USS STEEL Highway Handbooks), Caltran Bridge Design Manual, C.P Heins books, Professor Priestley's book, and some other books related to the Bridge Design. For the afternoon session FHWA Seismic Publications would certainly help. FHWA publications come in eight parts. You can borrow the FHWA publications from the EERC library.

If you concentrate in the buildings you need some of the IBC publications, Professors Paulay and Priestley book, PCA Books,some handbooks especially Rger L. Brockenbrough, Books related to steel design and wood Engineering Hand book.

Depending upon the literature allows in the exam, please sort out the material you need.

When I took my SE II exam, I concenntrate on the Bridge design discipline and took limited books on the bridge design and the FHWA Seismic Publications in eight parts.

For safety, I took PCA book, Professor Paulay book and Bowles book on the foundation in case I couldn,t able to solve the bridge problem.

I hope this will help you. Of course the other readers will provide you some more information.

Regards

Himat Solanki