From: Jeff George
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 9:58 AM
Subject: Structural Draftsman salaries?

I apologize for asking a non-structural engineering question, but I think I could get some
good answers/feedback from the people on this list.

How much $$$ do your structural drafters make?

I am a draftsman w/ about 8 years of experience drawing/detailing structural contract
documents.   I need very little help from the engineers to complete a quality set of drawings.
I set all bottom of footing/top of pier elevations (coord. w/ site, mech.), locate frost walls,
slab depressions, all floor & roof steel elevations, detail all cornice conditions, brick support,
drain all roofs, complete column schedule, typical details, general notes, etc.....

I feel I do a very thorough/accurate job (typically on large/complex schools & hospitals).
I work at an architect firm, with in-house engineering.

My question/complaint.........am I being paid fairly?   This is the only place I've worked,
so I guess I don't really have a good grasp on what I should be making?
I think my position is a LOT more difficult and carries a LOT more responsibility than
management realizes.   Now, I do not size footings or steel, but I do make everything work.
(Which is no easy task!!!)
Even little mistakes on my part can cost the company a lot of $$$$$.   .....and the
engineer can't be expected to check my numbers, or he might as well do it himself.
It's my responsibility to get it right.
I know I catch a lot of problems before jobs go out to bid, & they become serious problems
.....but who notices?   I know the engineer does, but he's not paying me.   Sometimes I feel
I'm paid/treated like I'm right out of school doing mindless copy work & red marks.

Anyway..................what is a good structural drafter worth?   ....with 2 or 3 years of
experience?   ......with 7 to 8 years of experience??   Also, please include your city, so I
can factor in cost-of-living.   Maybe I AM being paid fairly??    I don't know......

Thanks for any responses........and again, sorry for the non-technical question!

Do You Yahoo!?