RE: EIT exam preparation

I can give you some pointers on how I passed it in
2000.  My college offered a review class for half of
the semester.  Try to get into one of those.  If that
is not available at least try to get into a study
group with some other students.  As a review guide, I
used a green book titled "Fundamental of Engineering
Review" ed. Potter (Great Lakes Press).  I used it
only as a review of sections that I knew I needed
refreshing in (I did not read it from cover to cover).
 For example, if you are a CE/SE student you won't
have to worry about the mechanics sections.  I
strongly advise that you spend a lot of time reviewing
math/calculus.  That section will make or break you.

As far as the test.  My professor told us to pretty
much pick the sections to concentrate on and accept
that there will be sections that you haven't had the
needed exposure to (For me the Thermo and Circuits
sections were the toughest).  It would help to learn
the introductory concepts for such sections in order
to have stronger educated guesses.

The morning section is not so bad.  But, as you will
see, the afternoon test is a whole different animal
and worth more too.  Always work through the whole
section skipping the tougher ones and then go back for
another look.  Many times you will end up figuring it
out after the second look.  Also don't be discouraged
when you skip a lot more questions in the afternoon
session.  It is designed to be more difficult.  Also,
if you are going to guess when you have no idea of the
correct answer or are running out of time, pick your
favorite letter and stick with it (for me it was C).
This increases the probability of selecting more
correct answers.

Phillip Rogers, EIT