supposed to represent.  If the test was fair, then 12% is a pretty strong
indictment of engineering schools and training.

Laurence B. Oeth PE
#8 Garibaldi
Lake Oswego, OR 97035
503.636.3033
----- Original Message -----
From: "D W" <lateral(--nospam--at)engineer.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 10:09 AM
Subject: Feedback on this years 12% SE Exam pass rate???

> The pass rate on the 2001 SE was only 12%.
> This is nearly half of the previous lowest pass rate of 22% considering
results available for the last 5 years. It appears that the Board prepared
an extremely difficult test that included new formats and problem groupings.
In order to achieve a 12% pass rate the Board arbitrarily lowered the
standard cut score from 50% to 48%. Does this seem reasonable? Is it fair
for test takers to question the rationale of the Board?

> Pass rates of 25% to 60% are common for the other engineering disciplines.
The purpose of these tests is also to ensure the public safety. Do you
believe that the arbitrary decision by the Board ensures public safety?

> SEAONC Member, CE
> --

> http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
>
> Travelocity.com is giving away two million travel miles.

http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3969773;6991039;g?http://svc.travelocity.com/p
romos/millionmiles_main/0,,TRAVELOCITY,00.html