From: "Stathis Papageorgiou" <epapag(--nospam--at)tee.gr>
To: <syedfaiz23(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
Subject: Guard Rail Foundation Analysis and Design ?
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 16:08:18 +0200

Dear Syed,

1.    You may find some information in the German Standard DIN 1072, which,
I think, is also available in English.
In this Standard (para. 5.4(4) and resp. comments) it is stated that
'Distanzschutzplanken' (=Distance keeping protective barriers) need not be
designed for vehicular impact since the impact energy is absorbed thru
plastic deformation of the flex beam and the posts.
In case that the design of the directly supporting elements is required,
then a force of  25kN should be applied in each post at the middle height
of the flex beam.
2.    You may also get information from the CALTRANS  'Bridge Design
Specifications' (para. 2.7),  where, for posts pf that height, the
transverse (to the traffic) design load need not exceed 10 kips. A load
equal to one-half the transverse load on a post shall simultaneously be
applied longitudinaly, divided among not mor than four posts i a continuous
rail length.  Above document is downloadedable and can be located at
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/
3.     For the foundation design I think that you may apply the procedures
followed  for the pole design, short piles(Broms method) etc as might be
found in the specialized literature or just use your sound engineering
thinking to formulate the force interaction between foundation and soil (
but, which will be the acceptance criteria for the soil performance; should
they be based on strength or on displacement, etc ?).
4.    Conclusion : Design of secondary (but may be not less critical)
elements is sometimes more difficult than it seems in the beginning.

HTH
Regards

Stathis Papageorgiou
Athens, Greece