RE: Granco Shear connectors and Cofar Ceck

James,
I vaguely remember the thread, however, let me throw this into the
arena. I've designed a split-ring and shear-plates maybe twice in the
last sixteen years as they were not well accepted by contractors on the
West Coast and seemed to be more of Midwest and East Coast (probably
where there is more heavy timber design) item. However, here is what I
remember learning.

1. First - let me recommend an excellent resource to understand how
split-rings work. The Canadian Wood Council has a wonderful website with
graphic descriptions of most wood to wood connections - including
split-rings and shear-plates at:
http://www.cwc.ca/products/connections/heavy_connections/split_rings.htm

2. The AITC Timber Manual has the appropriate design information for
split rings and shear plates.

The connector itself is not the weak link - rather it is the capacity of
the wood member in shear parallel, perpendicular and angular to grain
that governs. A split-ring or shear-plate is not much different than the
design of a bolt - the capacity of the area of wood subject to shear is
where the capacity comes from. Split-rings and Shear-plates differ in
the sense that the split-ring is nothing more than a steel ring with
wood as the filler and a hole in the center that penetrates the wood for
a machine bolt connection (see the link above). A Shear-plate is solid
steel and is placed in the center of a drilled hole. The shear-plate is
drilled for the bolted connection through it's center.

The area of the ring or plate in contact with the wood is where the
capacity is derived so - in my opinion, this is not a proprietary value
but one that can be calculated using the AITC criteria by knowing the
area of contact between the wood and steel in compression and between
members in single and double shear - similar to the calculations you
would do with a bolted shear connection.  For single and double shear
connections of split-rings and shear-plates see the CWC links at:
http://www.cwc.ca/products/connections/heavy_connections/rings.html
http://www.cwc.ca/products/connections/heavy_connections/plates.html

I'm sure there are others that know more about shear-plates and
split-rings than I will every know, but remember designing a heavy
timber truss connection with top chord bearing end to end with the
opposite sloping top chord and specifying a split-ring or shear-plate
connection since I felt uncomfortable with a simple bolted connection.

I hope this will help lead you to the proper resource since it makes it
easier as it will probably not be dependent on the manufactured product
but what you can determine by the geometry of the connector and the type
of wood used.

If you are interested in wood design - this is the type of issues that
would be covered in the Wood Listservice on the Structuralist.Net. We
have deviated somewhat from a general list to try and reduce the amount
of posts received per day by allowing the subscriber to choose the
topics that they are interested in discussing. You can view the list of
current topics such as the Wood List by visiting the Structuralist.Net
Professional Listservice website at:
http://www.structuralist.net/prof_list.htm

Or you can subscribe directly to the Wood List at:

If you are interested in Residential Design (wood and cold-form steel)
then I am pleased to report that we have started up the
AEC-Residential(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc List which ceased to exist last year. The
new list is the Residential(--nospam--at)structuralist.net but requires you to
subscribe at the website list or directly at:
net

I hope you will find these useful resources. Please don't be discouraged
by the lack of messages - we are just starting the lists and it takes
time to gather professionals interested in subscribing to discussion
lists. If it seems quiet - send a note to the list and you can be sure
that at least I will answer :>)

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
California Professional Engineer