Re: IBC 2000 Seismic maps

"Scott A. Dunham, PE" wrote:
> I'm attempting to make some sense out of a
> building design that states the following:
> Effective peak velocity-related acceleration Av = 0.06
> Effective peak acceleration Aa = 0.06
> Seismic Hazard Exposure Group I
> Seismic Performance Category B
> Soil Profile Type B
>
> The referenced codes are 1994 Standard Building Code & ASCE 7-95
>
> Along with my lack of experience with earthquake design, I've just been in
> business on my own for about a year, so I don't have the referenced
> documents.

Scott,
If the 94 SBC is the governing code for your project, you can forget
about FEMA, NEHRP, ASCE, PGA, MCE and all the other acronyms. Just use
the 94 SBC.  Since it sounds like you don't have a copy of this, you can
basically use the 97 SBC since the seismic changes between 94 and 97
were almost nil. I imagine if you're working in Alabama you have the 97
SBC.

The one strange item about the seismic design criteria you were given is
the Soil Profile Type B. Someone was mixing apples and oranges here,
since the SBC uses  S1, S2, S3 and S4 (not A,B,C,D,E,F). It doesn't
really matter though, since once you get into the code you will see that
you don't even have to use the equation including S anyway.

Rick Burch
Columbia, SC