Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]


[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Item #1 is incorrect. You must check with the Rhode Island State Board, for
example (one of many) the State of Georgia offers the NCEES Structural I
exam but does not license by discipline (i.e. no such thing as a S.E. in
Georgia).  In most states that do offer a S.E. license you must take the
NCEES Structural II exam before you can advertise yourself as a S.E.  CHECK

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	GRileyPE(--nospam--at) [mailto:GRileyPE(--nospam--at)]
Sent:	Monday, March 18, 2002 10:22 AM
To:	m.stuart(--nospam--at)
Subject:	PE, SE, ETC


First off, congratulations on passing the NCEES Struct 1 exam for the state
of Rhode Island (my Ma was born in Pawtucket). As an engineer licensed to
practice structural engineering in 48 states, USVI, and Puerto Rico, and
residing out here in California, here's the skinny:

1. If Rhode Island declares you as a Structural Engineer, then you are one.
So use the S.E. designation.

2. Many of the western states have dual designation. To practice structural
engineering first one must obtain licensing as a civil engineer in that
state. This license enables one to practice with restrictions. For example,
in California a civil can do anything EXCEPT a hospital, a school, and a
building over 160 feet in height in Los Angeles county. To do those
structures one must be licensed as a structural engineer (SE). This is a
separate exam. In California, it occurs 4 years after passing the civil

3. Although I mentioned in point 1 above that you are a structural engineer,
beware of the following professional snobbery; it is generally accepted that
the California structural exam is the most difficult to pass (with a pass
rate of 10% to 20%). The state of California does not accept the NCEES
structural exam as licensing criteria, although the states that use NCEES
will accept the California exam. So while although you are registered in
R.I., California would require that you take the special portions of the
California civil exam (there are separate exams for seismic and surveying
that go with the California civil exam).

As far as I am concerned, you can use the S.E. designation. And besides, you
are from Rhode Island for cryin' out loud, so you are ok in my book.


Greg Riley

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
*   site at:
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********