RE: mold growth on joists

rccl:

I don't deny that I wrote that.

Glenn C. Otto

rccl wrote:

Glenn Otto wrote:

Jeff,

I would spray the mold with bleach or ammonia, but I would also make sure the remaining members were OK.  Sounds like they are, but the strength loss is significant even without much apparant damage.  Once the moisture problem is taken care of, the fungus will die.  The problem with some of these are the long roots they have, as you described that can find their way to a moisture source.  Kill 'em all!

Glenn C. Otto, P.E.
LIBERTY ENGINEERING, P.C.
Virginia Beach, VA