RE: PE/SE distinction

"So what am I? a PE or an SE?"

It depends on the requirements of each state.  Some states ask that people
pass follow-on tests after the PE to become an SE.  Other states let someone
become an SE by virtue of taking the SE I instead of the PE.  So, what you
are depends on the rules of your state/s you are registered in.

"BTW, I when I took the NCEES "Structural I" exam in October of 2001, there
were *way* more than eight questions.  Is the Structural I and SE I listed
below not the same thing?"

They are the same thing.  A few years ago, the SE I had fewer but longer
questions.  The current format is something like 80 multiple choice
questions.

Paul Crocker, P.E.