RE: mold growth on joists

Roger:

Good grief!  Here I was, getting caught up on my email while happily
chomping through a salad.  Then your email (below) popped up.  You guessed
it, my salad is covered with fresh mushrooms.  Now I've lost my appetite,
and am wondering if I need to spray my salad with bleach before discarding
it!

Stan Caldwell, P.E.
Hungry in Dallas

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sign on a Propane Vendor in Washington:
"Tanks for Little Grills"

Jeff,

Mushrooms are fungi and are feeding on the wood.  If you leave fungi on the
wood, and they don't die on their own, you have not solved the problem as
the
fungi are continuing to feed on the wood.  They are like blood sucking
leeches on human or animal bodies, drawing the life out of their host.

See Wood Handbook, 1999 Edition, Chapter 13, "Biodeterioration of Wood."

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona