IBC 1617.1.1 D=?

I am trying to go through a design using the new IBC 2000 and I have a question regarding Equation 16-28 (page 357).  I thought I understood what they were doing until I read "D = The effect of dead load".  Is this correct or was it meant to be "The effective dead load"?  I guess it is a similar question for "QE = The effect of horizontal seismic forces".  If it is correct as written, I don't think I understand the formulas.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates