RE: IBC 1617.1.1 D=?

D=dead load.  The .2*Sds*D is the vertical component of seismic force.  The .2*Sds is supposed to be multiplied by the weight and the force is applied in the up-down direction.

 -----Original Message-----
From: Ken Peoples [mailto:kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net]
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 11:03 AM
To: Seaint
Subject: IBC 1617.1.1 D=?

I am trying to go through a design using the new IBC 2000 and I have a question regarding Equation 16-28 (page 357).  I thought I understood what they were doing until I read "D = The effect of dead load".  Is this correct or was it meant to be "The effective dead load"?  I guess it is a similar question for "QE = The effect of horizontal seismic forces".  If it is correct as written, I don't think I understand the formulas.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates