RE: IBC 1617.1.1 D=?

The code authors most probably DID intend to use "effect," not
"effective."

See the definitions section (IBC 1602) for "Loads Effect." (sic)

(Aside: If you have a highly non-linear structure, then the difference
between an "effect due to a factored load" and a "factored effect
due to a load" may be significant.)

Dave Evans, P.E.
TNH, Inc.