RE: IBC 1617.1.1 D=?

Note that the definition of E is "the combined effect of horizontal and
vertical earthquake-induced forces."  Each term of Eq. 16-28 is capable of
inducing both vertical and horizontal forces in the members, depending on
the structural system.

D is not the dead load; it is the EFFECT of the dead load.  It is not
necessarily a vertical load.  For example, the dead load on a moment frame
will cause horizontal loads in the columns as well as moments in the beams
and columns.

Similarly Q-sub-E is not the horizontal seismic force; it is the EFFECT of
the horizontal seismic force.  It is not necessarily a horizontal load.
For example, the horizontal earthquake force in a braced frame will cause
axial forces with vertical components in the bracing, and vertical forces
at the column bases.

The point is that you can't just think in terms of applied forces, you need
to consider the EFFECT that the design seismic loads have on the members of
the structural system.  That is why the terms are defined as they are.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

***************************

                    "Haan, Scott M."
                    <HaanSM@ci.anchor      To:     "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    age.ak.us>
                    03/18/02 02:48 PM      cc:
                    Please respond to
                    seaint                 Subject:     RE: IBC 1617.1.1 D=?.

                                                                                                                   .

D=dead load.  The .2*Sds*D is the vertical  component of seismic force.
The .2*Sds is supposed to be multiplied by the weight and the force is
applied in the  up-down direction.