Re: 3x6 T&G diaphragm capacity

Thanks Jason, I think the boards are nailed together but I am having trouble interpreting the detail which I "think" is showing this information. I'll look into the book to which you refer.

Mark
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 12:53 PM
Subject: RE: 3x6 T&G diaphragm capacity

The shear capacity for *thin* sheathing perpendicular to beams is the "couple" formed by the two nails.  Three inch thick sheathing may have different numbers if the sheathing boards are nailed together.  For more information, see Western Wood Products Association's "Western Woods Use Book".

Sheathing shear capacity:
Diaphragm shear capacity =
nail shear X nail spacing X # sheathing boards per foot / beam spacing

Or:
v = V*s/(w*b)

where
V = Nail shear capacity (lb.)
s = Nail spacing (in.)
w = board (sheathing) width (in.)
b = beam spacing (ft.)

v = shear in lb/ft

The answer is usually a pretty low number.

-----
Jason W. Kilgore, P.E.
Project Engineer
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.