Diaphragm Fpx

Hi everybody,

For the force used to design the diaphragms, UBC 1633.2.9 item 2 states:
"The force Fpx determined from formula (33-1) need not exceed
1.0(Ca)I(Wpx),..." but in the Seismic Design Manual, Volume II-Design
Example 1(Page 62), the force Fpx is not checked against this upper limit.
In fact the calculated Fpx for roof and floor are both greater than this
limit, but the example goes on using calculated values for diaphragm design.

Am I missing something?

Reza Dashti P.Eng.
Vancouver, BC