Re: WEIGHT

> From: <jjtreff(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>

> I would like to know the mean weight per square feet of a "normal" metal
> building based on roof trusses and the mean weight per square feet of a
> "normal" metal building based on rigid frames with tapered members.

> Regards,
>
> Juan Jose

Roof system (purlins/joists at 5' spacing) + frame; 4 psf (extreme low)
to 6 psf (more typical) to 8 psf (common high).

It's all uphill from there and depends on a lot of factors (e.g. loads,
service criteria, column height, rafter spans, frame spacing, steel
grades, construction costs). I have designed metal system buildings
weighing >20psf, all included.

Weight is only a target when you compare apples to apples. Consider the
amount of time it takes to optimize a few pounds out of a frame for a
custom design. It may be more cost effective to ship extra weight.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International