RE: EQ resistant Design

>Unfortunately the same reasons that you would state for doing a
>non-orthogonal design also affect orthogonal designs.  Just because the
>building can take the loadings at 40 or 45 degrees does not prove that the
>building can take the loads at other angles or even orthogonally.
Good point. I think the real basis of all this is that it's important the
there's only one seismic load, not 2 orthogonal loads. It's convenient to
resolve that seismic load into vector components, but we can't ignore the
actual direction of the load.

Same for wind--wind only comes from one direction at a time, but the
direction could be any which way, just like an earthquake.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw