3x6 T&G diaphragm capacity

What happens if you shoot 8d (or whatever) nails
through the tongue and groove?  I would think the work
would go pretty quickly.  Use finishing nails and set
the gun to countersink them a little bit, so they
wouldn't show as much.  The shear capacity would be
easy to calculate, and probably very high.

Mike Hemstad
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota

>The shear capacity for *thin* sheathing perpendicular
to beams is the
"couple" formed by the two nails.  Three inch thick
sheathing may have
different numbers if the sheathing boards are nailed
together.  For more
information, see Western Wood Products Association's
"Western Woods Use
Book".

>Sheathing shear capacity:
Diaphragm shear capacity =
nail shear X nail spacing X # sheathing boards per
foot / beam spacing

Or:
v = V*s/(w*b)

where
V = Nail shear capacity (lb.)
s = Nail spacing (in.)
w = board (sheathing) width (in.)
b = beam spacing (ft.)

v = shear in lb/ft

The answer is usually a pretty low number.
-----
>Jason W. Kilgore, P.E.
Project Engineer
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.