Re: EQ resistant Design

 I think that what differentiates the seismic load  from other usual (more
or
less static) loads,
is the dynamic character of its continuously changing direction.
This means that during a seismic excitation the vector of the resultant
accelerogram does not have a constant orientation to be used as design
input.
(More in ''Dynamics of Structures'', by Clough and Penzien, p.603-607).

Stathis Papageorgiou