Re: EQ resistant Design

> I think that what differentiates the seismic load  from other usual (more
>or less static) loads, is the dynamic character of its continuously changing
direction.
My understanding is that the horizontal motion is pretty much wave motion
in the direction of slip along a fault, although reflections and
diffraction change that. The motion is oscillatory so it changes in
magnitude but not in direction. I don't see how surface wave motion can
change direction.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw