Re: EQ resistant Design

Constant direction of  motion means that the amplitudes of its vector
components
(say acceleration components, ax(t), ay(t) and az(t)) are affine in time,
that is, the ratios ax(t)/ay(t)/az(t) remain constant during the seismic
excitation.
Simple observation of any three-component accelerogram suffices to prove
that component maxima do not  happen simultaneously, that means the
resultant vector describing the seismic motion does not keep its direction
constant.

S. Papageorgiou