Re: Concrete Wall Deflection

	Steven Mallett,
		When we, as a precaster, have double tees sitting on a CIP
retaining wall, we ask that the wall be designed for the "at rest" soil
condition. That is, halfway between passive soil pressure and active soil
pressure. We then ask that the wall be backfilled and compacted before we
erect. And we have eaten crane costs by not erecting if backfilling is not
complete. To the best of my knowledge, the retaining wall engineers have
designed for strength only. The compacted backfill takes care of telling us
what the deflections are. We detail for no less than a 1" joint in all
directions at CIP, sometimes 2". This may be crude, but it works, and we
think it is the right way to do things.
		If the entity controlling the project (and it can be the
owner, the tenant, the developer, the architect, the EOR, the CM or the GC -
and maybe another that I have yet to encounter) insists that we take a load
into our double tees - which you are wisely trying to avoid - then we insist
on CIP pour strips along the wall to distribute the load as well as
possible.
	HTH
	James (Jim) L. Getaz III, P.E.
	Shockey Precast Group